Friday, October 3, 2008

Trip to DC

Hi again! This week I have been on vacation and I traveled to Washington, DC and Alexandria, VA. My husband and I visited many of the landmarks around DC and we also visited George Washington's Mount Vernon estate. Neither of us had ever been to Mount Vernon before. We spent about 6 hours touring the estate and learning about George Washington. I learned quite a bit about the United States' first President.

As we toured around, I was especially intrigued by the fact that so many school kids from around the vicinity were visiting the different Smithsonian museums, as well as Mount Vernon. It made me think about how lucky those students are; and I wondered if they know just how fortunate they are to live so near to those historic places.

Learning the little things that make historic figures human, so we can relate to them, making them more meaningful to us, makes learning history more fun and interesting.

Now to my point - all of my thoughts as I went through my week made me appreciate distance learning and virtual learning experiences even more than I already did! The Smithsonian offers many distance learning programs for students. Check them out! There are so many ways to integrate the concepts taught in those experiences into a variety of curricular areas.

If you would like suggestions about ways to integrate distance learning into your curriculum, please let us know! DL@gstboces.org

Stop back soon!

No comments: