Thursday, March 4, 2010

Twitter & Distance Learning

Have you ever considered developing your own Professional Learning Network (PLN) on Twitter as a place to seek out collaborative IVC project partners and content provider sessions?

Quite often, if I'm stuck for ideas, I will send out a question to the Twitterverse and I'll usually end up with more information than I might have found on my own, in a fraction of the time!

Setting up a Twitter account is easy, though there are several things to think about if you want to become a Twit like me :-)

1. I think it is helpful to enlist the help of someone who has been using Twitter for a while to introduce you to other educators who are worthwhile tweeters.

2. Visit Twitter4Teachers to see about adding educators to your PLN from around the world!

3. There is a lot of spam on Twitter! If you make it a habit to block people who follow you that are not educators or family and friends, it can help.

4. Never open a direct message (DM) or a hyperlink in a direct message unless you are certain who it is from.

5. Remember, it is good Twitter etiquette to retweet something someone else said by typing RT and then copy/paste what they said into your status update box (then click UPDATE).

Some excellent educators and video conference people I follow on Twitter: @outonalim, @whirlidurb, @AmySpath, @cmollerstuen, and @bethstill. For other great educators to follow, you can visit my Twitter page: http://twitter.com/cheryltice

If you would like us to help you set up a Twitter account, we'd be happy to help!

Contact us! DL@gstboces.org

Do you have Twitter tips that might be helpful to those just starting out? Please comment and share your ideas!

No comments: