Sunday, April 11, 2010

Grade 1 Distance Learning Intro Session

I offered a DL Intro session for some Addison first graders on Friday afternoon and thought I'd share so you can see if you would like to schedule one for your class.

What a fun group! I asked if any of them had done video conferencing before. I thought it was neat that several students had already done some form of IVC. One had done a connection in Kindergarten where the class connected to students in another location. Another girl in the class had used Skype to visit online with a relative.

During these connections, I always talk a little bit about the equipment and how it works with the students. We learn about video conference etiquette and play a game of Simon Says to practice what we learned, and to get the "wiggles" out - it's hard sitting for so long when you're 6 or 7! Then we wrap up with a game of "Picture This" using vocabulary words the teacher sends me, and they get to ask me some questions about video conferencing. It all takes about a half hour.

I'm always impressed by how well the students behave and by the questions they ask. They wanted to know how they were able to see me and how I could see them. We talked about the cameras and microphones and how all of that is connected to the internet. They asked how they could see my computer during the games, so I showed them the wire that connects my computer to the camera.

We talked about how the top of the Tandberg remote control was a little like a TV remote - instead of changing channels, it can change from the main camera to other things like my computer. I also showed them the number pad on the remote and we talked about how it acts like a cell phone - by dialing the right number and pressing the green button, we can call and talk to anyone with similar equipment. On a humorous note, they also asked if they could visit my house (perhaps they meant my office?) and another student asked if I was a principal. That one made me chuckle! :-)

This first grade class is getting ready for a video conference with another class in Hawaii and they are so excited about it. I was glad to have the opportunity to help them prepare for the event.

I am doing several more DL Intro's in April and May. If you would like to schedule a Distance Learning Intro for your class, please let us know! DL@gstboces.org

No comments: