Monday, June 1, 2009

Google Earth & Video Conferencing

When I offer virtual learning experiences to students, I like using Google Earth to help the students visualize where I am in the world compared to where they are.

I mark the location for my building and where the students are located on Google Earth with a "push pin." When I zoom in on our locations during the video conference, the kids usually gasp in amazement. I think they enjoy watching me zip around Google Earth while I go through my introductions.

This would be a fun addition to collaborative video conference projects that you do with other classes!

Google Earth not only shows you the earth, it also shows you what's in the sky, too! If you are a science teacher and plan to do a collaborative IVC project about the planets or constellations, then think about using Google Earth as part of your presentation during your connection. Click the button at the top of the Google Earth window that looks like Saturn and select SKY from the list. Your students could create a trip through the galaxy to share with another classroom with information about stars and planets along the way.

If you haven't already downloaded Google Earth, here is the download page. The trick is to play with it first to get comfortable with the program. Watch some video tutorials about Google Earth to get to know more about it. Then practice connecting to another location where you can practice using it over a video conference connection.

If you need help downloading and using Google Earth as part of a video conference project, or if you have general questions about video conferencing, please contact us: DL@gstboces.org

No comments: